The Better Photography Magazine Photo of the Year 2016
Please note your entry must have been photographed on or after 15 September 2014.
Entries close 7 September 2016 - and late entries on 15 September 2016 (extra fee applies).
Announcement of winners is on 15 October 2016.
- The Better Photography Magazine Photo of the Year 16 Award is open to all non-professional photographers. A non-professional photographer does not work full time as a photographer and has earned less than AUS $10,000 in the past 12 months from photography. Members of the AIPP and similar professional organisations around the world, including Emerging Members, are ineligible to enter. Student members are eligible to enter. (Non-professional members who are not Emerging Members of a professional organisation are also eligible to enter – as long as their earnings from photography are under $10,000.)
- By entering the Competition, You accept these Competition Rules and their Terms and Conditions.
- Closing Dates: Entries and the Entry Fee must be received by 7 September 2016. Late entries are accepted up to 15 September 2016.
- The Entry Fee is AUS $20.00 per image. Up to twenty images can be entered. There is one free entry for every four paid entries – so enter four images and you receive a fifth entry free. Enter another four entries and you get the tenth entry free etc. Entry to the competition remains open for one week after the closing date, but at an entry fee of $30 per entry. We recommend you enter by the due date!
- To enter, you must upload your Entry(s) via our website: www.betterphotography.com (the 'Website'), following the on-screen instructions carefully.
- Each Entry must be entered into a Category. Entrants may enter all their Entries into one Category, or several Categories as they wish.
- The judges are looking for a professional standard of presentation and a highly creative approach or treatment. A brief comment for every image will be supplied from the judges. This will be a generic comment and will be designed to instruct less successful entrants as to what aspects of the image they can improve and work on. It is provided in good faith.
- The images presented for judging must be photographic in origin and any post-production must be the work of the entrant. Images must be from original exposures made within the last 24 months of the closing date.
- Entrants must upload their Entries as digital files via www.betterphotography.com and comply with the following specifications:
sRGB colour space, 8-bit;
Measure 2300 pixels on the longest side;
Be saved as a JPEG at a setting of 8 (80%) or higher.
Winning Entrants must also be able to provide a high resolution digital file suitable for offset printing if required.
- Judging will be blind. No names or other indicators are allowed in or on the Entry that could indicate who is the author of the Entry.
- Each Entry will be scored by 3 separate judges. The Organiser reserves the right to replace the nominated judges should the need arise.
- The judging process is as follows:
Each Entry will be judged in its category and the judges' scores will be averaged to produce a final score.
The Entry with the highest final score within each Category will be deemed the Category winner.
In the case of a category tie, the judges' 3 individual scores for each Entry will be added together to produce a score tie calculation. The Entry with the highest score tie calculation will be deemed the Category winner.
In the event that Entries in a Category are still tied at the end of the judging process, those images will be re-judged to produce a Category winner.
The overall winner of the Better Photography Magazine Photograph of the Year will be selected by the 3 judges from the six category winners. This will be a process of consultation and discussion.
- Winners will be published online at www.betterphotography.com. Winners may also be published in the Organiser's associated magazines and publications, such as Better Photography Magazine.
- There are six categories: Emotive Portraits, Classic Landscapes, Creative Flair, Exotic Travel, Incredible Sport, Revealing Nature.
- The Winner from each category will win:
A Datacolor Spyder5EXRESS
A Canson Infinity paper pack
A Momento Photobook to a value of $150
A Wacom Intuos Pro Medium
- The Grand Prize and overall winner of the Better Photography Magazine Photo of the Year 15 will be announced online on 15 October 2016. The Grand Prize is AUS $5000 cash.
- Additional non-financial Gold, Silver and Bronze Merit Awards will be will be awarded based on the averaged 3 voting scores as follows:
Gold for scores of 88 - 100
Silver for scores of 81 - 87
Bronze for scores of 75 - 80
- Winning Entrants must agree to participate in related publicity and to the use of their name and likeness for the purposes of advertising, promotion and publicity without additional compensation.
- The decision of the Organiser is final.
- The Organiser reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify and/or remove any Entry that does not comply with the Competition Rules, or move an Entry to a more appropriate Category, even after the Entry is submitted on the Website.
- You warrant and represent, in respect of each Entry submitted by You, as follows:
You are the sole owner and author of each Entry;
You have the right to make Your Entry available to the Competition;
Your Entry(s) does not contain any infringing, threatening, false, misleading, abusive, harassing, libellous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, scandalous, inflammatory, pornographic, profane or illegal content;
Each entry does not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, contract rights, or any other intellectual property rights of any third person or entity, or violate any person's rights of privacy or publicity.
- You agree to fully indemnify the Organiser in respect of all royalties, fees and any other monies owing to any person by reason of Your breaching any of the foregoing.
- The Organiser acknowledges that You, the Entrant, retain full ownership of the copyright in each Entry.
- All Entrants agree that any Entry submitted to the competition may be used by the Organiser, and its Event Partners (Wacom, Canson, Momento and Datacolor) for the purposes of judging the Competition, and marketing and promotional purposes of the Competition.
Winning entries will be used as follows and only with respect to promoting the competition.
- displaying the winning entries at public exhibitions promoting the Awards;
- inclusion within the Organiser's and Event partners' websites and magazines, an awards book, magazine or similar (in both paper and digital media);
- inclusion in future publications and websites promoting the Awards, such as a 10-year anniversary compendium of past winners;
- inclusion within any material promoting the Awards;
- sub-licensing winning Entries to the press for reproduction in connection with the Competition and any exhibition;
- allowing viewers of the Awards website to view images on a computer screen, PDA or mobile telephone and store such pages in electronic form on disk or on a PDA or mobile telephone for their personal, non-commercial use only.
- Non-winning entries may be used solely to promote the competition for a period not to exceed 3 years from the close of the competition.
The Organiser wishes to promote the Awards with the winners' images, but we don't want to prevent our winners from benefiting commercially from sales of their own work. A small number of entrants may need to be able to license their work exclusively at some point in the future and the Organizer commits to providing a release in such circumstances upon being contacted.
- Any photograph used by the Organiser shall carry a credit line. Any failure to provide such a credit line shall not be deemed to be a breach, as long as the Organiser uses its reasonable endeavours to rectify such failure within a reasonable period from the date of notice of such failure.
- You acknowledge that it is Your responsibility for protecting any Entry against image misuse by any third party. The Organiser and its Event Partners assume no responsibility and are not liable for any image misuse.
- The Organiser assumes no responsibility for any incorrect, inaccurate or incomplete information, whether caused by website users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilised in the Competition, and the Organiser assumes no responsibility for technical, hardware or software failure of any kind, for lost network connections, garbled computer transmissions, other problems or technical malfunctions with regard to the Competition. The Organiser assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, corruption, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorised access to or alteration of Entries. The Organiser is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail addressed to the Organiser on account of technical problems, human error or traffic congestion on the internet or any website, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to Your or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in the Competition. If for any reason a contestant's Entry cannot be viewed or is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer viruses, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud or technical failures, the Organiser assumes no responsibility. (Phew! Blame our lawyers for that one!)
- In no event will the Organiser, its parents, affiliates, subsidiaries and related companies, Event Partners, its advertising or promotion agencies, or its officers, directors, employees, shareholders, representatives or agents be responsible or liable for any damages or losses of any kind, including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, special or punitive damages arising out of any contestant's access to and use of the website. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, everything on the website is provided "as is", without warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for purpose or use or non-infringement.
- There are no alternative prizes available for prize winners.
- To enter online, you will need to register. While you are not required to use your real name, you do need to provide a valid email address which will be used to contact prize winners. Competition winners may be asked to prove their non-professional status.
- The judges will determine the winning entry in each category. If the Organiser cannot contact a winning entrant by email within a reasonable time, the judges may award the prize(s) to another entry.
- Late Entries will be accepted for two weeks after the official closing date. The Late entry fee is AUS $30 per image entry.
- Entry fees and prizes are quoted in Australian dollars. The Organiser does not account or have any liability for any participant's bank fees and charges that may be levied in currency conversion and currency transaction by the participating bank or institution. Prizes are paid in AUD. Currency conversions to local currency are at winners' discretion and expense at the time of conversion.
- Entry receipts for the competition are stored in your account details. Your purchase receipt will be listed there.
- The Organiser's decisions are final. Right of rejection and or right of refusal are at the discretion of the Event Organisers and can happen at any time.
- All entries are subject to the laws of Australia and the state of New South Wales.
- All terms and conditions subject to change without notice, with the exception of the copyright and licensing terms (Terms 24, 25, 26 and 27).
© 2016 Pt78 Pty Ltd